Friday, June 5, 2009

Tires

It drives me crazy that no one around here gets the vintage trailer concept.

Everytime I try to do something related to fixing the trailer, the "trailer experts" tell me just to junk it and buy a new one.

Case in Point: Getting a Spare Tire

My friend who went with me when I picked it up suggested having a spare tire in case of a flat.

So when I left it for three days at the service department of the new trailer dealer place to have it checked out for problems (which is another story for another post), I specifically said I wanted to get a spare tire.

Last week I went to the tire dealership, and the nice guy there said that in order to get the correct spare tire, I needed to give him some special measurements that can only be obtained by taking off one of the tires and looking at it.

Okay, so I called the dealer place, because they'd had the trailer there for several days and knew I wanted a spare. Surely, I thought, they had taken the tire off and gotten those required measurements.

Nope.

The dealer said that to get a tire I'd have to try to find one at a junk yard (and he hinted that while I was there, I should just leave the trailer behind and spend $25,000 to buy a new one from him).

So now I had the huge hassle of having the nice guy at the tire place come to the trailer storage lot, jack up the trailer (difficult because it's parked on gravel), take off a wheel, and measure it.

I finally managed to contact the guy who sold it to me. He gave me all the measurements and said the tires are a very standard type, the same as those for a vintage 1960s Ford Fairlane.

I called the tire guy, and guess what? No waiting, no special orders, it's easy, and they have the tire in stock!

I guess some people just love to make things complicated!

No comments: