Sunday, June 14, 2009

Quantum of Solace


Now that my other blog is SNAFU'ed and I'm combining them, I guess I'll do the movie reviews over here from now on.

Okay, so today it's . . . .

Quantum of Solace (4 Broomsticks)

I was thinking as the opening credits rolled that what you want in a Bond film is predictability. But now I'm not sure that's true.

This flick had all the expected action--more than the expected amount actually. I would have liked a bit more explanation and backstory. And of course it had the Bond girls, and the exotic locales. But a lot was missing.

First of all, what happened to Q? Second, is the humor gone forever?

I read a reference to the new Daniel Craig Bond films as "Bond Rebooted"--in other words, Bond films without some of the familiar predictable elements--and I think this is true. I like Daniel Craig in the Bond role, but the feel of this film is really different. It's almost a "BINO"--a BondFilm in name only.

Still, it's good entertainment. You get to see a lot of exciting chase scenes, shootings, and things blowing up (gee, I hope I'm not giving away too much here!), and it's definitely worth seeing--but I wouldn't go back for a second look.

No comments: