Monday, September 21, 2009

Courting Disaster

Here's the letter I received last night from my trailer restoration guy in Denver:

Hi,

I can't begin tell you how thankful I am that we decided to pull the skin on your trailer, even with all my experience I was shocked (not literally) at what I found with the wiring on your trailer.

As you know I said I am unable to verify the condition of the wiring unless I pull the skin.

On virtually every place the wiring went through one of the frame members it was worn down to bare wires. I can't believe it was still working.

Had we not done the work we are doing it would have only been a matter of time before it failed, or much worse it burned the trailer to the ground. All it would have taken is for one of the bare wires to touch the other or the aluminum skin and it very likely would have caught on fire.

The good news is we found it before anything bad happened. . . .

This has been a real wakeup call for me. I'm now convinced that every vintage camper should have the skin removed and everything inspected. Your trailer is in great condition, but the fact remains it's almost 50 years old and you can never tell what's hiding under the skin.

Just thought I'd fill you in on this little update, otherwise everything is going on great.

After that, he added two photos, plus his comments, as follows (if you look closely, you can see that the blue plastic coating on the wiring is worn away, stripped down to the bare copper wires):


This is where the wiring goes through the frame crossmembers.


Wow... how this even worked is beyond me.

The really scary thing for me is that the electricity in the trailer was hooked up at every campground I stayed in on the way from Ohio to Denver. In Columbia, Missouri, it was hooked up for two days!

I must have a guardian angel.

No comments: